Priorities and Why I'm Moving Back to Idaho


Priorities shift in life. And sometimes they outright change. What we want may start to look different and suddenly choices we never thought we'd make are being made and plans are building to accomplish it.

When I first moved to Portland almost 4 years ago, my main priority was independence. I needed to prove to myself that I could move to new and unknown territory and survive. I surprised myself by not only surviving, but thriving. I found great apartments in the city, secured a few great jobs, explored and adventured in the area, and best of all, I found my tribe.

The friends that I've made while living in Portland have been some of the best people I know. They've been there for me when I've needed to cry, vent, or enjoy a good glass of wine. They've helped me move, helped me network, and two even named me Odd (God) Parent to their newborn. They've helped me discover so much about myself, and for that I am eternally grateful.

The idea of leaving the city and people I love is a tough one. It makes me sad to think about packing up the trailer and driving away in just a few short weeks.

But my priorities have changed.

For almost a year now the idea of moving back to Boise has been on my heart, but I've been pushing it aside and ignoring it. I chose to leave that place didn't I? I had very good, valid reasons for leaving, so why would I consider going back?

Family.

I miss my family. Seeing my brothers, sisters, mom, dad and niece every few months is just not enough. Each time I get back on that plane to leave again it gets more difficult. My niece squeezing me tight and asking me not to leave breaks my heart.

My niece turned seven in November and when I asked her what she wanted for her gift you know what she told me?

"I want you to move back to Boise."

I laughed at the time and told her that wasn't going to happen, but it sunk in deep and I haven't been able to shake it since.

I want a family someday. I want a husband and kids. And I want to raise those kids close to my family where they can see their aunts, uncles, cousins and Nana and Papa as often as possible. I grew up very close to my extended family, and I want nothing less for my own kids someday.

So, ironically, I used to wake up in Boise afraid I was going to meet someone, fall in love, and be stuck there. Now I worry I'll fall in love with someone in Portland and have to try and convince them to move closer to my family.

Life is funny isn't it?

2 comments

  1. Life is very funny indeed. The mind tells us one thing. The heart tells us another thing. The wise person follows the heart. It know the way. Many blessings on your wonderful next adventure in Boise. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you. I am so blessed to have you in our lives. YOU are going to be greatly missed. But I am proud of you for knowing what YOU need to do!! You know you always have a place to stay when you visit!!

    ReplyDelete